There are various reasons why our company is a stainless steel brand, but the main reason is that it meets all of our client needs.
As an everyday luxury tableware collection, we needed something that would be durable, clean, and sustainable. That’s where stainless steel comes into play, it is easy to clean and dishwasher safe, it doesn’t hold onto smells or stains, and there’s no need to polish. But what exactly is stainless steel?
What is Stainless Steel?
Stainless steel is an alloy that contains nickel and between 10.5% to 11% chromium, which gives it its shiny gloss and non-corrosive properties. The chromium also produces a thin protective layer, also known as a passive layer, on the surface that prevents any corrosion. You can learn more about stainless steel by visiting International Stainless Steel.
1. Food Safe – No Acid Reaction
Contrary to other metals, stainless steel does not react to acids making it one of the most hygienic surface metals. Thanks to its composition and strength it will not pit, these are usually where bacteria grows in other metals. Due to its sterile characteristics, it is often used in medical and scientific instruments, but restaurants also enjoy using it for food prep and presentation. You can serve any of the following items in our products with no fear!
- Lemon juice, vinegar, fish, tomatoes, salad dressing
- OJ, Bloody Marys or Margaritas
- Storing raw chicken and meats in fridge, covered in plastic wrap only
2. Easy Clean Up – Dishwasher Safe
This is the easiest alloy to clean, its shiny and slick surface will have food sliding off straight down the drain. There’s practically no scrubbing involved and it’s also dishwasher safe.
- Note of Caution: When loading your machine with silverware, make sure your stainless steel items are far enough away so they do not touch the silver. The heat from the dishwasher may cause a reaction that will spot and pit the metals.
3. No Tarnishing – No Polishing
Compared to silver there is no polishing for stainless steel, saving you hours of work. This is due to the chromium content, the passive layer mentioned above is always working to prevent any oxidation, black marks, or tarnishing. So, no extra steps are needed to keep your Mary Jurek Design products shiny and bright.
- Handy Tip: To remove wax or dull spots from your MJD tableware, we always recommend the best cleaner- Hagerty Stainless Steel Polish.
4. Green Product – Environmentally Friendly
We’re always trying to be environmentally aware and do our best for the environment which brought us to stainless steel. This alloy is anti-corrosive, meaning it requires less care than others so no harsh chemicals are used to maintain it. It also has a life expectancy of 100 years, decreasing any environmental impact. This alloy is also 100% recyclable and the majority of it comes from recycled scrap completing its full life cycle.
Our goal was to create a reliable, easy-care collection of luxury tableware for everyday use. After taking a close look at how we live our daily lives we found the answer: stainless steel. This alloy metal meets all of our requirements and exceeds our expectations. It’s easy to clean, environmentally friendly, and food safe!