Planning a romantic steak dinner for two? Whether treating your sweetheart to a Valentine’s Day date night, celebrating an anniversary, or simply spicing up your dinner routine, these recipes will surely impress.
Cooking a restaurant-quality steak at home is surprisingly quick and easy, and being able to enjoy your meal in a relaxed environment makes for a pleasant and satisfying dining pleasure.
While the steak is the star of the show, the right sides will really enhance the experience. In this guide, we’ll teach you how to make some amazing dishes that’ll elevate your plate—beloved steakhouse classics.
The secret ingredient in these romantic steak dinner recipes is love. Cook with fiery passion, and your lucky companion will taste how much they mean to you. That said, a little technical know-how never hurts!
Follow these simple recipes, and you’ll be savoring a blissful meal together in no time.
Pan-Sear and Butter-Baste Your Steak
With this simple and effective technique, you won’t need a culinary degree to produce stunning results in the kitchen. While you can cook steaks in the oven, we highly recommend using the stovetop. This allows you to baste it throughout the entire cooking process.
Most romantic steak dinner recipes use the same cooking method for the steak. Sometimes, the classics are classics for a reason! Searing steaks in a pan and basting them in butter as you go is a technique approved by renowned Michelin-star chefs worldwide.
Here’s how to make a romantic steak dinner for two.
- Let the steaks come to room temperature.
- Salt and pepper both sides.
- Bring the pan to high heat.
- Add enough olive oil, butter, garlic, and rosemary to fully cover the pan.
- Place the steak on the pan, and leave it in place to sear.
- While the steak is searing, baste it continuously with the infused olive oil and butter blend. This is the most important step in these romantic steak dinner recipes.
- After 5-7 minutes, the steak should release from the pan easily without sticking and have a golden-brown crust.
- Repeat the process on the other side.
- Let the steaks rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve on an elegant platter.
Again, this formula works for all the recipes we’ll discuss below. No matter which cut of beef you choose, this method will deliver amazing results. You may need to adjust cooking times depending on the thickness of your steaks.
Add or Subtract Ingredients to Taste
Now that you have a basic steak recipe to work with, you can make alterations if desired. Feel free to add or subtract ingredients—just don’t skip the butter basting!
These romantic steak dinner recipes are suggestions. Feel free to get creative and make them your own! For example, if you and your sweetheart enjoy spicy foods, adding some red pepper flakes to the pan would be a lovely touch.
Similarly, you may want to make minor adjustments to your steak recipe depending on the side dishes you’re serving.
For example, say you’re making a romantic steak dinner for two, and want to slice and serve it fajita-style with tortillas, peppers, and onions. Replacing the rosemary with cumin would be a great way to add some Mexican-style flavor to the dish.
Choose the Perfect Side Dishes
The most romantic steak dinner recipes are the ones you know your dining partner will adore. While there’s nothing wrong with getting wild with your cooking, sometimes a simple side of no-frills mashed potatoes is just what the steak needs to pop.
If you do plan to serve some unfamiliar flavors, you may want to have some classic sides on the menu as well. That way, you can be sure that both you and your dining partner will enjoy a satisfying experience.
So, now you know how to cook your steak like a five-star chef. It’s time to explore some iconic steakhouse side dishes you can pair with your divine bovine.
1. Mashed Potatoes
Steak and mashed potatoes are some of the most tried-and-true romantic steak dinner recipes. The mild flavor of the potatoes beautifully complements the bold, rich taste of steak. And, as an added bonus, making a delicious mash is a breeze.
- Peel your potatoes.
- Boil them for 20 minutes or so until a fork runs through them easily.
- Strain the potatoes, leaving a small amount of the starchy water.
- Add a generous amount of butter.
- Mash and whip the potatoes, adding milk until the desired texture is reached.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve in an elegant bowl.
2. Sautéed Mushrooms
A simple and delectable addition to your romantic steak dinner for two, sautéed mushrooms are super easy to prepare, and they add that extra depth of flavor that really makes the steaks sing.
Some of these romantic steak dinner recipes use the leftover pan juices from your steaks—this is one of them. That pan sauce is packed with flavor. So, even if you don’t make mushrooms with it, you can still drip it over your steaks.
- Chop portobello mushrooms (and onions if desired).
- Place them in the pan with your leftover pan sauce.
- Add a tablespoon of red wine and a dash of Worcestershire sauce.
- Let them simmer until tender.
3. Creamed Spinach
If you’re going for an old-school-cool steakhouse vibe, creamed spinach is a must! It’s rich and decadent, and the creaminess pairs amazingly well with a hearty steak. It makes a wonderful Thanksgiving side, too.
This is another one of those romantic steak dinner recipes that can use your leftover pan sauce to tie the flavors together. Feel free to add a bit, or leave it out if you prefer a milder flavor profile.
- Sautée spinach (fresh or frozen) in olive oil with garlic, salt, pepper, and a pinch of ground nutmeg until wilted.
- Stir in small amounts of heavy cream until the desired texture is reached.
- Add grated parmesan cheese to taste.
4. Wedge Salad
Here’s how to add some fresh veggies to your romantic steak dinner for two while still keeping the decadence alive! This is also one of the easiest romantic steak dinner recipes—perfect for those who aren’t confident in their cooking skills.
- Chop a head of iceberg lettuce into quarters.
- Cook a pack of bacon.
- Spoon a generous amount of bleu cheese over the lettuce wedge.
- Top with chopped bacon, chopped chives, halved cherry tomatoes, and crumbled bleu cheese.
- Finish with freshly ground black pepper.
5. Green Beans Almondine
Give your steak dinner the French cuisine treatment with a side of green beans almondine. It’s quite easy to put together, but the results are magical. Each ingredient plays a role in creating a flavorful and uniquely textured dish.
This is one of the healthier romantic steak dinner recipes, and you can substitute the butter for olive oil to reduce the calories.
- Sautée whole green beans, garlic, shallots, and chopped almonds in a buttered pan. You can use some of your steaks’ pan sauce for a bolder flavor.
- Stir and toss for 4-5 minutes or until tender.
- Add a splash of lemon juice and a bit of lemon zest.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
Create a Romantic Ambiance
Don’t overlook the presentation as you plan your romantic steak dinner for two! Food tastes so much better when it’s served in style. We’re helping you out with some mouthwatering romantic steak dinner recipes, but we can also assist with your spread.
Mind the details. Your table should have a pitcher of iced water, high-quality utensils, a freshly laundered tablecloth, and some cloth napkins. And don’t forget the candles! If you’re serving wine or cocktails, make sure all necessary barware is within arm’s reach to avoid interrupted conversation.
Consider adorning your table in heart-shaped tableware from our Symphony collection to capture a sense of romance (especially on Valentine’s Day). Or, give your tablescape some glamor with radiant golden pieces from our Helios collection.
Another simple yet effective approach is to use all stainless steel serveware. This will give your meal a sophisticated atmosphere reminiscent of a fine dining restaurant, especially paired with a white tablecloth and soft candlelight.
Shop Exquisitely Handcrafted Dining Essentials
We hope these romantic steak dinner recipes make your dinner together an unforgettable experience. Browse our upscale serveware to put the finishing touches on the table.
Our blog is a great resource with hosting tips and guides for all sorts of events and occasions. Check out our other posts for more inspiration as you plan the perfect romantic steak dinner for two. Order your serveware essentials at Mary Jurek Design today.